Care for your vehicle graphics like you would any fine paint finish. Using high quality Avery and 3M products designed specifically for car care and these cleaning and maintenance procedures will keep your vehicle graphics looking their best.
- Wash whenever the vehicle appears to be dirty. Contaminants allowed to remain on the graphic
may be more difficult to remove during cleaning.
- Rinse off as much dirt and grit as possible with a spray of water.
- Use a wet, non-abrasive detergent such as 3M Car Wash Soap 39000, Meguiar’s NXT
Generation Car Wash or Deep Crystal Car Wash and a soft, clean cloth or sponge.
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water. To reduce water spotting, immediately use a silicone
squeegee to remove water and finish with a clean microfiber cloth.
- When cleaning your graphics, never use solvents, oil-based cleaners, kitchen and bathroom
cleaners, oven cleaner, orange oil or engine degreaser. Using wax or other similar coatings is
also not recommended on vehicle graphics.
Automated Car Washes
- Vinyl wraps may be run through car washes. Touchless car washes are the best for graphic
care. Use of brush car washes (depending on the frequency and quality of brush) may cause
dulling, scratching or lifting of edges of the graphics.
- Although hand washing is the preferred cleaning method, pressure may be used under these conditions:
- Ensure the water pressure is below 2000 psi (14 MPa)
- Keep the water temperature below 180 F (80 C)
- Use a spray nozzle with a 40-degree wide angle spray pattern
- Keep the nozzle at least one foot away from and perpendicular (at 90) to the graphic.
Holding the nozzle of a pressure washer at an angle to the graphic may lift the edges of the vinyl
Soften difficult contaminants such as bug splatter, bird droppings, tree sap and similar contaminants by soaking them for several minutes with very hot, soapy water. Rinse thoroughly and dry. If further cleaning is needed, test one of these products in an inconspicuous area to ensure no damage to the graphics: Meguiar’s Gold Class Bug and Tar Remover or 3M Citrus Base Cleaner. Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) (two parts IPA : one part water) or denatured alcohol may also help. Spot clean the contaminants. Do not use rough scrubbing or abrasive tools, which will scratch the film. Wash and rinse off all residue immediately.
Wipe fuel spills away immediately to avoid degrading the vinyl and adhesive. Then wash, rinse and dry same as you would if you were washing it on a regular day
The following restoration recommendations will help keep your vehicle wrap looking its best:
– Do not use any abrasive polishes or cutting compounds
– Do not use any polishing or wax products on matte or textured films
– If there is wax or wax residue on the surface, remove with an all-purpose cleaner
Vinyl graphics (just like paint) are degraded by prolonged exposure to sun and atmospheric pollutants, particularly on the horizontal surfaces such as hood, trunk lid and roof. Whenever possible, store your vehicle in a garage or at least a shaded area during the day. At night, protect the car from dew or rain, which may contain acidic pollutants (a common problem in many large metropolitan areas). When a garage is not available, consider using a cloth car cover at night. If your graphics start to discolor or turn brown, immediately remove the graphics from the vehicle
to avoid staining the underlying paint.